Monday, March 29, 2010

Oscar Picks

The Oscars are being handed out on Sunday and even though I won’t spend 5 minutes watching them, that doesn’t mean I can’t make predictions of my own.

Granted I have not seen most of the movies that are up for awards, so most of these picks will be on personal preference of by some bias.

Here we go:

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker…great movies…great story…great characters.

Best Actor: Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker…I didn’t see any other nominated performance this year, but Renner’s was very impressive for an unknown.

Best Actress: Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side…she did a phenomenal job in this role and has grown up quite a bit from her Speed days.

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz for Inglorious Basterds…maybe my favourite performance of any actor in any movie this year.

Best Supporting Actress: I didn’t see any of these nominees…but from what I hear Mo’Nique did a superb job in Precious.

But of course, most of the nominations are those of the Academy. The white-haired, no risk, crusty old boys club who wouldn’t take a risk on a movie for the every day man and woman.

That’s where I come in…
Now my winners and Best Picture nominees for The Matt-scars or Osc-mouchelles.

Best Picture: The nominees are Inglorious Basterds, The Blind Side, The Hangover, Saw 6 and Taken…I’d have to say the best movie I saw in 2009 was The Hangover.

Best Actor: Liam Nieson in Taken was a poor man’s Jack Bauer and he did a kick-ass job doing so…he gets the nod from me.

Best Actress: I actually have to go back to my actual Oscar pick and give the honour to Sandra Bullock. It’s just a great movie from start to finish.

Best Supporting Actor: In a stunning development, we have a tie. Christoph Waltz for Inglorious Basterds is sharing the trophy with Zack Galafanakis from The Hangover. Oh, you’re going to tell me that Alan wasn’t the best character in the movies this year??
And finally Best Supporting Actress: I liked Helen Mirren in State of Play. She was tough, hostile and downright hot.

So enjoy the Oscars on Sunday everyone and remember…if you’re a man over 30 years old…you best not be hosting an Oscar Party…or as the Academy hands out their awards…you will have to hand in your man papers.

No comments: